incognito mosquito - always pack repellant   View photos from STREET ART photo set   View photos from FAVES photo set   View photos from FOOD photo set   View photos from AMUSING photo set   View photos from CATS photo set  
Monday, January 14, 2008
Osaka vs. Tokyo

I moved to Tokyo from Osaka March 207. J-Ho pointed out this article on the Financial Times that talks about the differences and similarities between Osaka and Tokyo.

So I thought I'd make a list of things I find that Osaka has over Tokyo, and vice versa. This is a work in progress:

Why Osaka wins:

  • Less people, less crowding
  • Better, cheaper food
  • Kansai-ben (dialect)
  • Near Kyoto
  • Cheaper rent, bigger places
  • More nature once you hit the outskirts
  • Random strangers more likely to help you
  • More opportunity to speak Japanese
  • Easier and cheaper to access airport
  • Cosier feel
  • Quality over quantity

Why Tokyo wins:

  • Live acts
  • Brunch
  • Cheaper trains
  • Bands are more likely to perform here
  • Interesting exhibitions
  • More inner city nature
  • Cooler in summer
  • More interesting fashion
  • More English language services
  • Greater availability to foreign food items
  • Greater variety of restaurants

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

previously > Restaurant Sign |  Summer '07 |  More Koenji |  New Year's Eve 2007/8 |  It's Got To Bee Good For You |  English Oh Dear |  Litterbugger |  Why Most Japanese Are Slim |  Onion Scramble |  I Was Wondering When This Would Happen |