incognito mosquito - always pack repellant   View photos from STREET ART photo set   View photos from FAVES photo set   View photos from FOOD photo set   View photos from AMUSING photo set   View photos from CATS photo set  
Thursday, August 07, 2008
Favourite Sounds

Yesterday evening as I was walking home, I passed a local pub/izakaya where the front door was open.

I could hear sounds of cooking coming from the kitchen, and it was at that point that I realised that nothing is quite as calming and smile-inducing as the sound of a wok chan (wok stir fry spatula) hitting a wok.

The distinctive, brief but audible echoing ting brings back a flood of memories, from my grandma cooking something fatty and delicious at the back of our old house, to my mum whipping up mee goreng to order.. Or of the myriad of food stalls that line most streets in Malaysia and Singapore, with each stall owner creating their own aromatic masterpieces.

I never really thought about the sound until yesterday evening. I wonder if it's coincidence that my thoughts occured a day before my grandma's birthday..

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger David said at 10:50 PM...

I like the sound of the wok chan as well! I'm still trying to decide which is more delicious sounding: the chan or the roar of the gas fire as it imparts the wok heigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

previously > Dinosaur Construction |  Drained Face |  Movies — Kung Fu Panda |  Deliciousness (photo awesomeness by J-Ho) |  Mother Nature is Watching You |  Kitty Updates |  Groggy Froggy |  Ikan Bilis Noodle Soup |  Have a nice beer? |  Fishing in the City |