incognito mosquito - always pack repellant   View photos from STREET ART photo set   View photos from FAVES photo set   View photos from FOOD photo set   View photos from AMUSING photo set   View photos from CATS photo set  
Monday, November 17, 2008
Hozuki / 食用ほおずき
食用ほおずき / Hozuki

Every wondered where fairies got their skirts from? Perhaps from these petite, cherry tomato-like fruits called "hozuki".. Hozuki is also the word for Chinese lamp, and these guys sure look a bit lamp-like.

I came across them while at a farmer's market with Tomes one day.

I'd never seen them before, but as they were giving out free samples, I had to try one. The flavour bursts into your mouth the moment you bite into one. At first everything tastes a little sweet, but then suddenly your mouth becomes filled with... the flavours of Thai food.

.. a bit sweet Thai basil, a bit peppery, a bit sour.. amazing!

I am officially a convert to the hozuki..

食用ほおずき / Hozuki

私は食材を買うときにスーパーより市場に行くのが好きです。あの市場の雰囲気が好きです。自分自身の農産物を売りながら、自分の作物に対しての自慢げな農場の人たちの顔をみると、何となく安心します。その上、売っている野菜や果物を丁寧に育っていた農場のみなさんと直接質問することもできていつもおもしろくて勉強になります。そこで、食品の「心」がみえるようになります。

にぎやかな環境に色とりどりの野菜や果物をみると、必ず見たことがないものがみつかります。この間の発見した果物は食用ほおずきという果物です。見た目はプチトマトに似ていますが、色が鮮やかな黄色です。外側は乾燥して薄い茶色の葉っぱに包まれています。あの葉っぱは妖精がはきそうなスカートにみえます。その売店を通りすぎようとしたとき、店主に「試食したらいかがですか?」ときかれて、少しドキドキしました。一個を口にポンと入れて、噛んでみました。

タイ料理一品のすべての味がこのちっちゃな果物に入っているようでした。食感がプチトマトよりもう少ししっかりしていて、口の中で味がにはちきれたら、美味しくて、不思議です。甘み、酸味、ハーブ系の味がすべて含まれています。タイバジルに近い味もよくわかります。ご飯や麺に似合いそうだと思います。冷やしたサラダやそうめんに加えたら美味しいと思います。

私は小さいパックを買って、持って帰りましたが、もっと買えればよかったと今もよく思っています。その市場は月に一回しかやっていないので、来月を楽しみにしています。

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger David said at 12:42 AM...

Hanno...I think your pic is of the cape gooseberry, which is slightly different to the hozuki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hozuki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis_peruviana

 
Blogger Sam said at 8:28 AM...

Well, the people at the market were calling it "Shoku-yo hozuki" which means "edible hozuki"..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

previously > Okinawa 2008 |  Autumnal Visitations |  Lea's Kansai Visit 2005 |  Japan Tobacco Ad |  Loneliness ≠ Thriftiness |  30 Seconds |  Onomichi |  Overpackaging Horrors |  Funny Photos from Yoyogi Koen |  Canadian Thanksgiving |