One thing I had totally forgotten about Japan was its lack of pavements/sidewalks/pedestrian walkways. It isn't uncommon to be walking along ON a two-way road, and then having to step over some drainage/sewery thing to give way to cars or bikes. This evening I saw a woman waiting diligently for the Green Man to appear and then prepared to cross. The car stopped for the red light, but 2 motorcycles continued to go through. Just as well the woman looked before crossing. I don't know who has right of way here. The rule seems to be, "Just go and make sure you have good health insurance."
There are things that LOOK like pedestrian/zebra crossings but no one ever stops for you unless you simply step out in front of moving traffic, are pushing a pram (though this isn't a fail proof method of stopping traffic), incredibly attractive or a large posse of obviously foreign-looking foreigners.
Oh yes, HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAT! .. and LEA for the 8th!
Labels: Japan






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home