incognito mosquito - always pack repellant   View photos from STREET ART photo set   View photos from FAVES photo set   View photos from FOOD photo set   View photos from AMUSING photo set   View photos from CATS photo set  
Saturday, August 06, 2005
I ate: chicken sashimi
Chicken Sashimi

Now when people think of sashimi, most people think of slices of raw fish. It actually means 'slices of raw meat'. So put that together with 'chicken' and yeeeeeooop. You get.. RAW CHICKEN.

raw liver

In keeping with my rule of trying anything I'm served at least once, I can now say that along with raw horse (sorry Aunty! I thought it was whale!), raw beef, raw octopus, raw squid, raw liver (shown in photo on your right), and fish testes, I've now also ingested raw CHICKEN.

totoro

The texture was not unlike the most expensive part of a tuna.. what's it called again.. tontoro? totoro? No wait, that's this guy here..

.. anyway, it was served with pureed garlic, spring onions and minced ginger. We were also given a choice three dipping sauces. A vinegary ponzu sauce, and two kinds of soy sauce. Taste-wise it wasn't too bad. Though I am waiting to curl up and die a slow and painful death..

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Japan said at 4:58 PM...

Hehe...

I actually really like the raw horse when it's served right. Mmmm, have had the chicken too and all the others you mentioned bar liver (will not) and testes (that I'm aware).

2 of the following I love... toro, tontoro and tottoro. Which do I dislike, do you think?

I still can't believe that I've disgraced myself and my homeland though by eating the taboo kujira...

By the way, do you like tan?

 
Blogger Sam said at 7:41 AM...

Hmm.. EVERYBODY likes Totoro! He's so adorable!

I'm not too informed on my Parts of Fish so I dunno about the びみょう differences with toro vs. tontoro... maybe one of those?

What's tan? For a second I thought you were asking me a question one of my jnr. high students asked me when referring to a suntan.

What's whale like? Mammaly?

As for the age thing, you're quite possibly the ONLY person who has guessed my age right. I can still get away with high school student fares on buses in NZ.

Finally realised where I've heard the name 'Gifu' before - I was in Hida Takayama having a wander around last year before coming to Osaka! :) NICE place! Though apparently it gets frigidly cold in winter!!

 
Blogger Crafty Japan said at 10:30 AM...

Funnily enough, I am not a huge tottoro fan - he was the odd one out.

Aaahh, toro is that great cut of tuna or salmon etc with the most fat content. Tontoro is one of the dishes they serve up at yakiniku. Not sure exactly where it's from, but it's a cut of pork.

Haha.. tan was as in tongue. The whale just kinda tasted like any other random sashimi - I simply can't describe the taste of sashimi in words to people.

 
Blogger Sam said at 6:56 PM...

BOO HOO you don't like totoro. Guess he won't Be Your Neighbour anytime soon huh? *heaving sobs*

Is it his claws? His orthodontically perfect smile? His leaf hat?

Ooooh yes now I remember my toro from my tontoro. I luuuuuurve both.

Hmm, ox tongue? I think I've had that.. funnily enough in a Japanese restaurant in Malaysia. it was yummy! I'll have to order it one day here! You're living in a good area for beefy things eh?

Apparently whale isn't all that great anyway. It used to be the cheapest kind of meat in ye old days.

 
Blogger David said at 7:50 PM...

It was probably fish epididymis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epididymis that you ate. I read about it in another blog.

I ate mud crab the other day. Haven't written about it yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

previously > Colours of Japan |  Minoh Festival |  Turning into a fat ass ・ デブまっしぐら (J) |  Oh I love my shoes (J) |  Actual Culture Shock / やっぱり文化が違う (J) |  Home cookin' (J) |  Cafe Neu (J) |  Safety first! 安全第一! (J) |  STOKED |  Photo Set - Cool |