incognito mosquito - always pack repellant   View photos from STREET ART photo set   View photos from FAVES photo set   View photos from FOOD photo set   View photos from AMUSING photo set   View photos from CATS photo set  
Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Online Conversation

My brother and I often chat via MSN Messenger. He put this edited conversation between us on his blog, so I figured I'd do the same here. I've started working in a charming, wee NZ bar and my brother asked me about the work. He's in italics:

The bar's good, tiring...but awesome meeting lotsa different people. Occasionally I feel like a decorative object.

Why decorative?

Owner: "This is Samantha. Look at how tall she is. Her hips come up to HERE on me.."
Customers: "She's cute! And such white teeth! And such a small face!"

You have a small face?

All foreigners do.

Ahh...

Including Japanese-looking ones like me too, apparently.

Not like the Fat-Faces of Japan?

I'm tempted to say that; but when I ask them what a "small face" is, the women start to go on about how large their face is. My friend C has an especially small face. There's a book called "You know you've been in Japan too long when..." and one of the things is: "When you look in the mirror one day and think: 'Oh my god, my face really IS small!'"

Do you think you have a small face? That's such a quirky thing to attribute to foreigners.

I have a face in proportion with the rest of my body. The Japanese theory is that a small face puts the rest of your body in proportion. The Japanese comment on the weirdest things.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

previously > Ewok Transporter |  Brazil vs. Oz |  Bubudzuke (J) |  Kyoto Exposed |  Sunday Arvo Bus Ride |  TLC For Lil 'ol Me |  Japan |  Subway Mime |  Tennoji Zoo (J) |  Butter Sandwich |