incognito mosquito - always pack repellant   View photos from STREET ART photo set   View photos from FAVES photo set   View photos from FOOD photo set   View photos from AMUSING photo set   View photos from CATS photo set  
Thursday, April 14, 2005
Well fed

I came home last night at 7.30PM. The stairwell outside my flat was filled with yummy food smells. "Goodness," I thought, "Something smells good.. I hope it's what I set to cook in the rice cooker this morning.."

And much to my delight, the good smells WERE coming from MY FLAT!

*does a small and disastrous cartwheel*

You see, as I tend to come home at ridiculous hours from work, the last thing I want to do is cook. So, having discovered that my rice cooker has a timer function, I thought, "Why not set it to cook stuff and then I can have a meal ready when I come home?"

So that's exactly what I did. Trial One a few weeks ago involved rice, the crumbled contents (flavourings included) of a packet of instant noodles, pak choi, and some other miscellaneous ingredients which I have since forgotten. It was edible, but proof that pak choi is best gently cooked - not thrown to the timer function of a rice cooker.

This time around, I put smashed cloves of garlic, sliced onion, rice, cubed potato, cubed carrot, salt & pepper, chicken, a small packet of 'Half Bacon' (I try not to think what the other half is), mushroom, brocolli and chicken into the rice cooker. With a bit of water of course.

The result? GASTRONOMICALLY SCRUMMY GOODNESS!

I'm so pleased! I thought that the brocolli would be a little hardier to the rice cooker's temperatures, but it looks like green veges are just a no go. Shame, I like my green veges. I think next time I make this I will also maybe pre-cook the chicken a little. Some of the pieces were a little on the uncooked side.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

previously > The Secrets of Looking Beautiful & Poised |  Yay for The Black Seeds |  2nite's dinner |  Boogie Night |  It's true that |  Home Sweet Home |  More karaoke goodness |  A most happy birthday indeed |  How To Start The Week |  How NOT To Start The Week |